On Test Day
Before Your Session Begins
Before you arrive at your test site, there are a number of important things you should do:
- Verify your test location and reporting time — Check with the test administration site to confirm your reporting location and time.
- Assemble your identification (ID) documents — See ID requirements to be sure your documents will be accepted. You will not be admitted to the test without the correct documents.
- Review the general guidelines below and the list of what to bring to your test site.
- You must arrive at the test site no later than the scheduled reporting time.
- On occasion, weather conditions or other circumstances beyond the test administrator's or ETS's control may require a delayed start or the rescheduling of your test. Check the GACE website before your scheduled test administration for information about test center delays and closures. If inclement weather is anticipated in your area on test day, check your test site's website and/or local news and radio station broadcasts for updates.
- The duration time listed for this assessment does not include time for tutorials or directional screens that may be included in the test. Actual testing time may be less.
- Dress so you can adapt to any room temperature.
- Test-related information written on clothes, shoes, ID documents, or on any parts of the body is prohibited.
- Friends or relatives who accompany you to the test site are not permitted to wait in the test site or be in contact with you while you are taking the test. Except for ETS-authorized observers, visitors are not permitted in the testing room while testing is in progress.
- Test takers are subject to various security checks and forms of ID comparison to ensure the security of test content. If you refuse to participate in these security measures, you will not be permitted to test and you will forfeit your registration and test fees.
- Personal items other than ID documents are not allowed in the testing room. This includes backpacks, phones, purses, tablets, PDAs, watches, and any other electronic, recording, listening, scanning, photographic, or wearable technology devices. If you take any personal items into the testing room, or if you are seen using or accessing any electronic device, including but not limited to text messaging, email, or photographs, your device will be inspected and may be confiscated, and you will be dismissed from the test. You may not access your phone at any time for any reason, including during breaks.
- Before the test you will receive instructions regarding where to store your personal items. You may also be asked to empty your pockets. Storage space is limited, so plan accordingly. You will not have access to your personal items during the test.
- Clothing and personal items are subject to inspection by the test administrator. Failure to comply may result in dismissal from the test and/or cancellation of scores.
- You may not use any aids in connection with the test, including, without limitation, pens, mechanical pencils, pagers, beepers, watches, calculators (except when approved as a testing accommodation), books, pamphlets, notes, unauthorized scratch paper, rulers, highlighter pens, scan pens or scanning devices, stereos or radios with headphones, dictionaries, translators, compasses, protractors, and any handheld electronic, listening, recording, scanning, or photographic devices.
- Weapons and firearms are not allowed in the test center. Smoking and vaping are prohibited. Food and beverages are not allowed in the testing room, except when approved as a testing accommodation.
- If you have health-related needs that require you to bring equipment, beverages, or snacks into the testing room or to take extra or extended breaks, you need to follow the accommodations request procedures in the Bulletin Supplement for Test Takers with Disabilities or Health-related Needs.
- Neither ETS nor the test sites assume any responsibility whatsoever for personal items or devices that you choose to bring into the test site. Test administrators are not permitted to collect and hold phones, watches, or any other devices.
- The test administrator will assign you a seat.
- You must have the test administrator's permission to leave the room during the test. Any time lost cannot be made up. You are required to remain inside the test site building.
- Discussion or sharing of test content or answers during the test administration, during breaks, or after the test is prohibited.
- ETS reserves the right to take appropriate action and/or notify appropriate authorities including, but not limited to, law enforcement authorities, if a test taker responds in a threatening or disturbing way to essay or speaking questions or communicates with ETS either verbally or in writing in a threatening or disturbing manner.