Online Calculator Tutorial
An online calculator is part of the testing software for GACE® assessments that require the use of a graphing or scientific calculator. Free tutorials are available so you can practice using these calculators prior to taking an assessment.
The following tests include the use of an online calculator:
- Mathematics Test I (022) — graphing calculator
- Mathematics Test II (023) — graphing calculator
- Mathematics Combined Test I & II (522) — graphing calculator
- Middle Grades Mathematics (013) — graphing calculator
- Special Education Mathematics and Science (088) — scientific calculator
Click on the link below to navigate to an external site where you can download the graphing and scientific calculator tutorials.
Four-function Online Calculator
The GACE Program Admission – Mathematics test (211) and the Program Admission – Combined test (710) both have a four-function calculator built into the testing software. Here are some helpful tips for using the four-function online calculator:
- Most of the questions requiring the use of the four-function online calculator don't require difficult computations, so don't use the calculator just because it's available.
- Use it for calculations that you know are tedious, such as long division; square roots; and addition, subtraction, or multiplication of numbers that have several digits.
- Avoid using it for simple computations that are quicker to do mentally, such as and
- Avoid using it to introduce decimals if you are asked to give an answer as a fraction.
- Some questions can be answered more quickly by reasoning and estimating than by using the calculator.
- If you use the calculator, estimate the answer beforehand so you can determine whether the calculator's answer is "in the ballpark." This may help you avoid key-entry errors.
Find out more about using the Four-Function Onscreen Calculator.